Travel Must Haves

Travel Must Haves 

At a loss for what to get the travelers in your life for Christmas and Birthdays?  Shopping for yourself and on a budget? Worry no more, I've compiled my top travel essentials - all travel tested (by me) and essentials I don't travel without whether I'm hiking in exotic destinations or strolling quaint European villages. 
*I am an Amazon associate - if you purchase from any of these links I earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support! 


1. Water bottle- Hydration is key when traveling and by getting a re-usable water bottle for trips, you're helping the environment as well as your wallet! (Water bottles are NOT cheap at the airport my friends) While I've traveled with many different KINDS of waterbottles, it all comes down to the Nalgene for the win on pricepoint, DURABILITY, and most key of all- being able to clip it to your pack/ purse/ etc. so you never leave it behind. Check out the colors and options for Nalgene waterbottles here: 



Trying to save space? My other favorite waterbottles for travelling are collapsible silicone based. A little pricier, but definitely handy if you want to bring MORE than 1 bottle and want to save space once your bottle is empty. 


2. Travel Pillow- The perfect travel pillow doesn't exist..... Or so I thought. I've tried a variety of travel pillows from the foam toilet seat looking one (the face cradle ! ) on kickstarter to the standard wrap around neck pillow, and NONE have allowed me to sleep blissfully through a flight like the pillow below.  Stomach and side sleepers rejoice! This thing works on flights/ car trips/ and yes it also works beautifully at airport gates. So introducing.... 
Other typical options if you're a back sleeper intent on not looking like a goon on your flights (it's not worth it- trust me get a pillow you like): 




3. External battery pack- Necessary for older planes, long travel days with little access to power outlets, and travels where electricity isn't always readily available. What I use: Anker Powercore.  It can easily revive my phone from complete death up to 3 time and is one of the lightest and most compact battery packs in this power range on the market. I never leave home without one.



4. Travel purse/ bag- For visiting a big city or place where pick pockets are prevalent, I can't recommend a travel purse (or bag for you males out there) to travel with enough. Link to what I use. However there's also this backpack. Featuring locking zippers, hidden zipper compartments (with RFID blocking tech) these bags are a great deterrent to pick-pockets while still keeping a sleek design. As far as purses go, this bag fits everything I need without fitting TOO Much to where it's too heavy to lug around all day. 
















.
5. Noise- Canceling Head Phones (preferably not blue tooth)While I am a huge proponent of blue tooth headphones, especially for exercise, something needs to be said about having a "plug in" pair still for traveling. With so many airlines supplying in-flight entertainment, ESPECIALLY on long hauls, you're going to want a comfortable pair of headphones to plug in and watch movies for hours on end. AND TRUST ME, I've tried several of the "freebie" headphones that are passed out on flights and they are all terrible. You don't want to have to depend on headphones that are uncomfortable and sound quality where you can barely hear your movie for 12 hours. For some extra luxury, consider a noise-cancelling pair like these, to tune out the snorer in the seat next to you, as well as the baby 4 rows back. (Once you go noise canceling, you never go back) 


6. Kindle/ Ereader, the ultimate SPACE SAVER and with batteries that last a lot longer than your phone, these are a worthy investment. I particularly love my paper white kindle edition as there's no glare when reading pool side and I can leave my row light turned off to read without disturbing others. (The new versions are also WATERPROOF) The battery lasts SO much longer than my phone or tablet and my eyes are less tired from white light. Bonus: I get to bring along as many books as my heart can handle each trip. 

7. The perfect travel shoes: This is a terribly subject and destination dependent topic but my GO TO for almost all destinations (except Iceland) have been a pair of Teva Sandals. (I have 10+ pairs) and if I'm feeling fancy (oh Hey Europe) I pack these. Hiking a lot on dusty trails? These are my go to's instead. I've traveled the world in Tevas, from Greece/France, to Peru and China. (And even 14 miles of the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim) 

8. Turkish Towel - Good as a scarf, blanket, and towel, there's little this easy accessory can't help with. What I use


9. A personalized Passport cover- While simultaneously protecting the passport and being a stylish accessory, I love passport covers! Just make sure whichever kind you buy, it's not too challenging to slip your passport in and out of, as you do have to remove them when going through customs. What I use:  Personalized World Map 



10. Camera Gear- Whether you have a DSLR camera or just use your phone, make sure you have all the gear you need to last your trip. (ie. once upon a time I only brought my back up battery on a 9 day trip without the charger... guess what, I fully drained BOTH batteries with days to spare and seriously missed so many great shots) I generally want to bring some sort of tripod (whether for my hefty camera or a cool monkey tripod for the phone like this one) and because camera bags are too clunky for my taste, I have a padded camera cover that I use.  




















11. Universal adapter (always make sure the adapter you get is compatible with the country you are visiting! I use this one so it works for more than just one destination! 


12. A WRIST watch: I know, what is this? The archaic ages? WELL my friends, let me tell you, the less you have to pull out your phone and can leave it safely zipped up in your bag... the better. It is lovely being able to leave my phone nice and protected while still being able to tell the time to make sure I get to my train, plane, etc.. on time. They can also make really nice accessories and don't require charging. 


13. This one's for my lady friends: a P STYLE!
I don't go anywhere without this anymore. Not only is it a godsend when hiking/ backpacking but it saves the day in Europe/ other countries where the public toilets are the squatty potty variety (just a hole in the ground) or in NYC where the subway bathrooms are the closest but beyond disgusting. This thing is necessary. I got mine off Amazon along with a carrying case designed for it. (I also carry along baby wipes and things to clean it out) There are many devices similar to this but trust me, this is the best one. (review from one of my girlfriends who successfully used this thing in Times Square during the New Years celebration (where you have 0 access to a bathroom for HOURS) to pee in a bottle- miracle worker ladies) 

14. Packing Cubes- I resisted the idea of using packing cubes for the longest time, convinced that it was a scam on actually "saving space" since in theory, it's just more stuff to take up space. Since I started using them however, I've seen the light.While yes, saving space is still somewhat low on the "proven" scale (they certainly don't take up MORE space), what you gain in organization is worth the $15 for a good set. For example, not having to haul all my panties out when going through security and needing to get to something in the bottom of my bag.  Here's what I use. 



15. The perfect carry-on. This comes down to being very traveler dependent however if I can narrow down my two top carryons depending on the type of trip I'm taking, these would be the ones: 
       Luxury roller bag- Roller bags are my go to when I'm travelling to just 1 destination or will have a rental car to get around. I love having the extra space, being able to casually stroll through the airport without walking like the hunchback of notre dame with all my clothes on my back, and I can generally still carry a backpack for the seat in front of me (so more space overall in my carryons). This rolling bag I absolutely love the style of, the TSA approved locking zippers, all directional (QUIET) wheels, built in tracking plate if you luggage gets lost, brakes on the front wheels to keep it from rolling away, and best of all- the accompanying 10 year warranty  

       Backpackers style- When it comes to travelling somewhere I won't have a homebase or rental car (ie. Europe, China, SE Asia) A nice backpack is everything. They are much easier to check in inner city lockers (to sight see during the day if you cant check into your hotel yet) and easier to lug around on the subways/ trains/ public transport. I often travel where I spend 1-2 nights per spot and then take a train to a new destination and backpacking it is really the best way to go. Best of all, investing in a nice pack for travel is also investing for BACKPACKING in the outdoors! Win win! My favorite backpack for women is the Gregory Deva 60 l pack. It easily fits everything I need from outdoor adventures to 1 week+ travels around Europe. It's got THE best suspension of any pack I've tried with an articulating hip belt that moves with you as you walk.This thing is a dream for you back, putting all the load on your hips. (where it should be)




And that's it! The things I always bring with me on my flights/ adventures! Feel free to leave me a message if you think I am missing anything! Happy shopping and even happier wandering! 

Comments

  1. Love these suggestions! I didn't even know they made pillows like that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Desert Thunder Stock Car Races

100 Hike Challenge

Fall Carbon County ATV ride